Top 10 Cancer Causing Foods: Understanding What Causes CancerRuss Curran
The top 10 cancer causing foods list is something you should know like the back of your hand.
Your diet can strongly influence a person’s cancer risk. Eating poorly can contribute to people developing cancer in the body far faster than smoking. It’s important to pay attention to the top 10 cancer causing foods list below.
We all know that fruits and vegetables are good for us, but do you know which ones to avoid reducing your cancer risk?
- High-sugar and low-fiber processed food. Sugar and refined carbs can cause blood glucose to spike and this, in turn, increases the risk for certain types of cancer. Studies show that higher levels of insulin and glucose can cause inflammation in the body and if left unchecked, can lead to the growth of abnormal cells. Insulin also inadvertently spreads cancer cells because it promotes cell division.
- Processed and charred meats. Carcinogenic chemicals can form when meat is processed. When cooked, processed meat produces chemicals that are also suspected carcinogens.
- Sodas and energy drinks. Soda drinks contain high amounts of sugar and food chemicals which can stimulate the growth of abnormal cells.
- Excessive amounts of alcohol. Occasional or social drinking is, sometimes, inevitable especially during the holiday seasons. Regular and excessive drinking, however, can increase cancer risk because of the chemical compound acetaldehyde which the body produces when metabolizing alcohol. This compound can damage the DNA and lead to the growth of cancer cells.
- Packaged goods. Ready-to-eat meals are undeniably convenient, but they are also loaded with saturated fat, sugar, and salt which are major contributors to obesity, a high-risk factor for cancer.
- Farmed salmon. You think you may be saving money by buying the cheaper farmed salmon but apparently, you may also be putting your health at risk. One study found that farmed salmon has 16 times more polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) compared to wild-caught salmon. PCBs are “chlorinated organic chemicals” used as a coolant and lubricant in electrical equipment. They are proven carcinogens among animals and probable carcinogens in humans.
- Microwave popcorn. Here’s one reason to skip the microwave popcorn on your next movie night. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) found in microwave-popcorn bags are “likely” carcinogenic.
- Trans fats in processed food. To retain flavor and increase the shelf life of packed food items, manufacturers turn liquid oils into solid fats, thus creating trans fats. Trans fats are found in margarine, cereals, cookies, chips, salad dressings and other commonly consumed items. Trans fats are linked to higher obesity.
- Vegetable oil. When heated, this type of cooking oil can release free radicals that cause oxidative stress and cellular damage.
Eating Foods That Can’t Be Naturally Absorbed By The Body Becomes Poison and Increases Cancer Risk
Food plays a crucial role in our overall and long-term health. Although some may say that moderation is key even when consuming unhealthy food, it is important to remember that what we eat can have irreversible effects on our body.
Whenever possible, avoid these cancer-causing food items and stick to natural unprocessed whole organic food that truly fuels our bodies. Remember the purpose of food is not pleasure for our tongues, it is to fuel our bodies so we can function optimally.
A proper diet is a crucial part of our integrated cancer care program, give us a call today and learn how we can help you in healing from cancer.